Jarrad Marshall from Orbx has revealed details on the upcoming Australia V2 scenery for FSX and Prepar3D. The entire Australian continent will be updated with the latest region-based technology, covering an 8 million km2 area. In addition, AUv2 incorporates a huge diversity of topography and geography. From the tropical rain forests of northern Queensland to the wind-swept coastline of south-west Tasmania; from the temperate urban metropolises of the east coast to the desolate beauty of the red centre, explore a variety of stunning landscapes not seen anywhere else in the Orbx world.
AUv2 is a landclass-style region that brings together everything on a massive scale. Almost 700 airports have been upgraded or created from scratch, giving you the opportunity to criss-cross the country in true VFR. Coastlines, water bodies, road, rail and power line networks have been recreated from scratch, using the latest high-fidelity data to vastly improve accuracy and detail across the continent. Towns, urban centres and other settlements have been reworked too; diversity, realism and accuracy greatly improve the immersion, whether that be flying cross-country long-haul or local VFR hops. Terrain elevation mesh has been brought to the next level; incorporating the latest data from the Australian Government, the new HD mesh makes a huge difference on both a small and large scale. In addition to these major re-workings, over 50 large-scale photoreal points of interest have been created from scratch to represent well-known geographical and man-made features. Mine sites, dry lakes, tidal water bodies, unusual geographical formations and more have been expertly edited, colourised and blended to the surrounding terrain. The largest of these features is the Great Barrier Reef; recreated in complete photo-real quality.
The centrepiece of AUv2 is undoubtedly the high-definition Melbourne Cityscape. The inner suburbs of Melbourne have been brought to life in full photoreal detail. 30cm ground textures, complete custom modelling for CBD blocks, high-detail POI, beautifully hand-placed autogen vegetation and stunning night lighting combine to bring to life the city that is, in many ways, the spiritual home for Orbx.
AUv2 Feature List
- Ultra-HD Melbourne Cityscape
- 370+ upgraded and 280+ all-new airports
- Over 50+ large-scale photoreal areas of interest such as salt lakes, mine sites, tidal areas and many more
- High-quality mesh, with high-resolution LIDAR data for the majority of the eastern/southern seaboard, major cities and Tasmania
- Completely new lakes, rivers and shorelines – much improved quality and accuracy
- Entire Great Barrier Reef in photoreal
- Completely new road and rail networks
- Improved and new landclass types
- Hundreds of thousands of new geographical features; dry lakes, parks, railyards, industrial areas etc
- Much-improved populated area shape accuracy
- Completely new power line networks, wind farms and other man-made features
- Improved and updated bridges, harbour objects and marinas
- Complete seasonal variations
- Airports optimised for use with AI traffic, particularly our enormously-popular AI Traffic for Australia
- Designed to work seamlessly with all 32 Australian HD airports and Cityscapes.
AUv2 currently takes up an installed size of approx. 21GB, though this is subject to change for final release
Orbx payware Australian airports will work with AUv2 and Orbx is currently working through all HD airports to correct any compatibility issues.
Finally, Orbx said AUv2 ships with the best quality and resolution mesh currently available on the market, so no third-party mesh is necessary.
Orbx AUv2 will be available exclusively via OrbxDirect for AUD $54.95 (approx. $38.50/ €34.25 / £29.50). AUv1 customers who have a copy in their OrbxDirect account will receive a 40% discount. Click here for the full announcement over on the Orbx website.