X-Plane developer, VSKYLABS has officially released the C-47 Skytrain Flying Lab Project version v2.8.01.
Projects highlights include:
- VR functionality is a part of the project aspects which are constantly under evaluation and development for reaching a higher level of immersion as the VR features and possibilities are growing.
- Highly accurate performance and handling simulation of the DC-3/C-47, along with a full set of traditional/old school navigation and autopilot systems.
- Authentic flight performance and handling practices (take-off, landing, single engine operations, flight planning, long-range flights and old school navigation). It is a perfect platform to recreate and fly historic routes.
- Unique look and feel: There is nothing to hide – the VSKYLABS DC-3/C-47 is a mixture of a simplified yet engaging design.
- Systems – All the relevant systems are simulated, including a fully featured cockpit, equipped with authentic C-47 cockpit layout and VFR/IFR instruments.
Some of the more unique systems include:
- Highly defined engines/propellers systems with an authentic feathering system. Accurate single-engine performance.
- Two-speed superchargers based on the PW-1830-90C engine model and equipped with lo/hi blowers. The high blower configuration enables high altitude cruise.
- Oxygen system – including crew dilution/regulator, pressure indicator and functional flow-indicator (“Blinker”). Do not forget to enable hypoxia in X-Plane’s general settings menu.
- Fire Extinguisher system – including a fire indication system. The fire extinguisher control panel is located behind the hinged cover on the cockpit floor, between the pilot/co-pilot’s seats.
- Damage simulation – the engines are sensitive to rapid spool-up and abuse will result in severe damage or even engine fire. Stressing the airframe will also result in severe damage, following a visual representation of the damage, including prop-strike visualisation and loss of control surfaces both visually and within the flight dynamics model.
- Interconnected fire, cockpit smoke and ventilation setup.
- Engines/propeller systems are designed with fully featured, functioning and authentic propeller feathering system, for highly realistic single engine simulation.
- Old school Sperry autopilot.
- Anti-Icing/De-Ice systems, including icing and rain visualisation.
- Animated skis incorporated in the flight dynamics model.
- Aircraft performance and handling qualities were designed and tested in a “Research level” approach and went through a validation process of more than 300 hours (up until now) of flight testing and evaluation by real-world C-47/DC-3 pilot…stretching X-Plane to its limits.
- Systems are easy to operate by beginners: All relevant systems are simulated but with the focus on getting the “Flying Lab” airborne without the need to go through a long “ground school”.
- Still under development: Although “all systems are go!”, the initial release version was only the starting point of the long-term development plan for the package, which will include continuous work and refinements on the Flight Dynamics Model, systems, and adding/improving 3D modelling qualities.
More information is available on the VSKYLABS website.